Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: one of the least talked about amps? Electronic Industries (pre-ARC) M60 ?

Thanx for the reply. It may be beyond my ability at this time [I can see me changing only resistors and caps and connector], but Noted.

hehehe, that ship has sailed regarding tri-amping tho. I know I don't 'have' to. But after measuring Impedance of the speaker and seeing that the midrange region goes to 32 ohms, and time alignment differences of the bass / mid / tweeter, and so many on the Klipsch board saying 'whatever you do run away from that K401 horn!' ... I decided to change the mid and tweeter drivers and horns and tri-amp with time-alignment, to see just what I can get. The amount of time alignment called for on the tweeter warranted going digital to me.

Additionally, I've recently contracted-for or purchased a lot of used, vintage, or new but vintage style, gear:
- a center La Scala bass horn from a craftsman who frequents the Klipsch message board
- a beautiful full-sized custom Smith Horn made out of Walnut for center as well as three mini-Smith walnut horns all from another craftsman who frequents the Altec heritage board
- two larger then normal Smith clones with the baffle for 500Hz operation (for left and right)
- drivers being 2 JBL 2445 and 1 2447 driver for midrange on the full-sized smith horns, and 3 2402 tweeter drivers for the mini-Smith horns. (I do at times like to get to silly loud levels when I watch the Cream DVD or other great music as an example)
- I've recently purchased a total of 8 vintage tube amps ; I'll be using the one ARC Classic 150 monoblock I have left that didn't burn out in the lightning strike I got hit by.
- (not vintage or used) I purchased a new BSS Prosys processor (10-in 10-out unit) which I'll be using for crossover and time-alignment (perhap minimal equalization if necessary), in a 3-in 9-out configuration.

So while I know I don't 'have' to tri-amp; it was either upgrade the crossover and try for 'physical' time alignment leading to other reflection issues, or go all out. Like I'm apt to do I chose the latter.
[you should see what I did to my lovely car ]

If I'm worried about any one thing, it's the amount of -heat- I'll be making and current I'll be drawing with all those tube amps!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: one of the least talked about amps? Electronic Industries (pre-ARC) M60 ? - m8o 07:32:45 03/22/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.