Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Sideways Speaker? (poorman's bookshelf?)

With your speaker placement, you'll have problems with any speaker.

Staggering them along the sidewall (one speaker closer to the front, one closer to the back) might help, but it's going to be a "try it and see" situation. Using a three piece system (two satellites and a subwoofer might help). You could set the sub on the floor or put it on a high shelf near the ceiling (putting it near the ceiling is the same as putting it near the floor)

Something like my Bose AM-5 series II which has a narrow sub and two "two-cube" satellites might also work well. The sub is flat enough for placement on a shelf and the crossover is 250 Hz, so the satellites won't excite the standing waves across the garage. Then the two little cubes that make up each satellite can be angled apart by maybe 90 degrees to give a very wide area of coverage. That's probably your best bet, and used ones go for cheap.

I have the AM-5's in the living room and the sound is surprisingly good. They were difficult to set up, but I eventually got it right.

Bose owners who have serious audio as a hobby get together only at night and follow a circuitous route to the meeting place. (ordinary owners brag on them) We use assumed names and wear voluminous black cloaks and hoods to disguise our body shapes. Remember, the 901 has a pentagram shape. As part of the ceremony, we take turns destroying a Wilson or von Schweikert speaker or a high end turntable that we have kidnapped in retaliation. The high point of 2006 was burning a Quad ESL at the stake.

It's funny, back in the 70's Bose was quite highly thought of and the 901 was a hot item. Now it's the whipping boy of the "high end". Based on my experience, I'd have to say that most detractors have never heard a well set up system. Very few stores have them set up well, and even the Bose outlet stores are often poorly set up. One of the common problems is finding the wiring is out of phase in one connection or another. That really torpedos the sound. There are six wrong connection possibilities and only 1 right one. About half the stores I have been to have miss-wired systems.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.