Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: The year, 1962

Ah yes; the Cuban Missile Crisis. Boy, is that a vivid memory. I was living in manchester CT and working for the Hamilton-Standard Division of United Aircraft Corp. The plant was located at Bradley Field, the Hartford-Springfield Municipal Airport.

Kennedy made his famous speech to the American people in the evening, and right after, my parents called and asked me if i thought it was serious. Itold them no, I thought it was just saber rattling because we were one of the alternate fields for Westover AFB, a SAC base, and if things were serious they would be dispersing their planes to alternate fields and i hadn't seen any.

Next morning I drove to work, and there at the southeast corner of the field was a seven plane flight of B47's all lined up with their mother ship with the orange tail that carried all the ECM gear. At the southwest corner of the field was a U-2 and it's support plane, and the Connecticut Air National Guard at the north corner had all their F-102's rolled out on the runway on 2 minute alert status. Once I got into the office I found all the National Guard members were missing from their desks. And later that morning a C-123 cargo plane taxied over to our plant (the main taxi-way extended onto our property) and they began loading supplies from the warehouse. A lot of military contractors were paid to maintain stocks of spares for just such an event. In the afternoon, a second cargo plane arrived.

It was painfully clear that Kennedy was not just talking and that the US had put one of their war preparedness plans into action. Meanwhile, my fiance' was in Miami at a Dental Convention.

Scared the heckout of my parents. I had told them that if they were worried to check their local county airport and see if any military planes had showed up there. Next morning they drove over there, and sure enough, there were a bunch of planes there, too.

My roommate worked for pratt & Whitney, another UAC division, and they had the same experience. All the National Guard and reservists missing and cargo planes landing at their field.

It didn't last long, but it was the highest alert level I can remember from the cold war.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The year, 1962 - Bold Eagle 07:51:01 03/16/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.