Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

how to put a positive spin on idol?!

what an odd way of looking at it..

granted-- pop music has never been about music, moreso about the songs. but the notion that rehashing the warhorses of previous generations pop stable is somehow revitalizing music is an idea i'm loathe to.

i won't disparage their abilities or sticktoit-iveness.. i won't say they aren't trying to do their best-- but there is a LOT more to the progress of MUSIC than singing other people's songs, the flashy light show, the absurd judging, and making ford or coke commercials snappy and (un)interesting.

modern music reflects the people making it, and although you see a decline in 'heavy rock, rap, electronica'-- the truth of the matter is, that it's no different than the music of previous generations using different tools. there has ALWAYS BEEN, and always will be, crap-- or to paraphrase nietzsche 'there will always be mediocre art, as there will always be mediocre people.' you can't honestly believe that the monkees or donovan were somehow equally talented to miles davis, the beatles or the who- nor equally able to put forth a vision of 'modern music'. and of the two options, it's very clear to me at least that the risks taken by the latter were what MADE them what they were, and precisely what curtailed the careers of the former. THAT is pop music- it reflects what will SELL, hence POP. it IS NOT reflective of the future of music.

if american idol is the future of POP music, so be it, but as for it's being a vision of the future of american MUSIC is a very depressing notion-- as depressing as the realization that since MTV became the arbiter of tastes that anyone assessed 'good enough' to perform has to be capable of a thorough airbrushing into perfection before their talent is even considered.

d

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • how to put a positive spin on idol?! - stuck.wilson@gmail.com 04:59:49 03/16/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.