Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: The pop music problem

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. The popular music of the 80's and beyond has pretty well turned off older generations. Me included. And if I sound like I'm getting old, I am!

I'd be very interested in the demographics of American Idol and the other talent shows.

However, there is still a lot of good stuff to listen to. Norah Jones, Diana Krall, and Jack Johnson to name three; and there's lots more if you take the time to look around.

I also think the current popular trends (hip-hop and rap) are at least partly responsible for the increased popularity of Country and Western. Some of that you can hum or even sing. Plus, they don't feel they have to pose as hoods or gangsters to establish themselves.

Also, American Idol did produce an Oscar winner.

Somebody in this thread mentioned Dillon. Good lyrics, terrible singing. One of the weirder things I've heard was in a recording of Joan Baez from the 1962 Newport Folk Festival where she sings a duet with Dillon. Talk about the Odd Couple!

Rap has profanity? Gee, so did Frank Zappa.

With a few notable exceptions (Evita, Chicago, Chorus Line) the movie musical has gone away. Not that I'd want to bring back Busby Berkely. But to a great extent, the kid's movies have some very good musical backgrounds, like Happy Feet.

I guess while I admit to liking the popular music of the 60's and 70's better than today's, I really don't think all is lost, and i can still find radio stations to listen to. (I have pretty eclectic tastes, anyway) I'm not sure how big an influence American Idol will be on the youth-do they even watch it? (which is why I wondered about the demographics of the viewers) Contrast the music on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno with what's on Saturday Night Live. Different demographics, different music.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.