Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

David, I agree.

Over the last year or two I've stayed away from any threads about American Idol because they tend to generate more flames then the cable wars.

I take a great deal of pride in saying that I've never watched one minute of any single reality show on TV, ever. Except for AI, if you categorize it as a reality show, which I don't, necessarily.

Why do I watch it? Because I love music, and I love to sing in the shower.

Is the show managed, the contestants carefully selected, in order to end up with a final group that appeals to everyone? Of course. Once it goes to the audience vote, however, all bets are off.

David is right about these final rounds, where every week has a theme, and the theme very frequently is based on an older genre of music. The purpose, of course, is to see if the contestants can sing something other than what 20-somethings are used to, and the main purpose is to provide music that the majority of the listening audience can relate to, so there'll be those whatayacallits...ratings.

But you know what? Everybody loves that music. I'm not a huge Diana Ross fan, so last night won't be my top week this year, but that's not the point. It's about the music.

And don't start ragging on me because they're not all the best singers in the world. That's not the point either. The idea is to find the best singers out of the ones who tried out, and singers over 29, and probably anybody who's ever recorded, aren't eligible. The point is to find somebody new. And you know what?

I'm going to buy every single album Melinda Doolittle ever records, because that young woman can sing like nobody since Ella.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • David, I agree. - Fisherdude 05:47:20 03/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.