Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

This has nothing to do with "generations"

That's good news for audiophiles -- yet something of a non-event for many consumers. Fred Pinkerton , product manager for the portable audio line at Cambridge SoundWorks, believes that "there will continue to be a small percentage of people interested in the best quality audio."

And the rest?

"They just want to get the song."

This quote from the article sums up the HISTORY of reproduced sound and the buying public. Look at the junk that was always available. If anything...shitty systems sound better today than the ever did.

Audiophiles (and yes the term is old...I came across it in a 1956 issue of Popular Electronics yesterday) were always a small minority (who spend lots of money) and barring the era of the 1970's when it was hip to own a big stereo system...it has always been the pursuit of people that the rest of society looks at with disbelief and sometimes scorn.

Sometimes people on this forum get their panties in a bunch thinking that "younger" people do not care about sound. The correct term should be "most" people don't care about sound. Last year at the Vacuum Tube Valley Expo in NJ...the majority of the people I saw seemed to be between the ages of 20-40...which falls below the "boomer" cut off date that many people here seem to think drops you into the I-Pod listener catagory...in fact the people I know that are really into I-pods, Bose Wave radios, etc are over the age of 50.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.