Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Bogen / NTS-1125 look like a 50-60 Watter...

Hey, Thanx very much for your addition. I gathered already you're an interstage devotee; how did I guess. ;) Personally I'm a total neophite, but I'll be learning.

I looked at some Bogen circuits but didn't find a 807 based one before. I did find one from those models discussed on DIYAudio with an 807, thanx. I'll look for more tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with the OPT. The person I bought it from has been using it in his HT system. That's right, I just checked the eBay listing and it read "These NTS-1125 have two 16 ohm taps, 140v tap. both 16 ohm taps are strapped for 8 ohm speakers as wired now".

Thanx for the notes about the capacitance. I'll have to do that. I do think this amp will more likely be the one used driving the 4 ohm bass horn then the Dukane; though I will up-size the supply caps in those too eventually. I'm really going to need a 3rd of both this Bogen and the Dukane! ;) I'm definintely not planning on changing from the 807; it's what intrigued me in the 1st place.

And finally if you'll indulge me, I have a few questions that will illustrate just what a neophite I am with 'older' (ok, or 'real old') tube gear.

1) Is setting the bias higher as you mention making it operate furter in AB2 towards class B operation, or moving it more towards AB1?
2) If I don't have a service manual, is whatever pot I need to adjust to set bias 'intuitive' usually? And how do I know what value is 'right'?
3) When do I need to start old amps with a Variac? Only if they haven't been used for a long long time? Both these Bogens and Dukanes have been used (I think regularly) by the people I bought them from, so I think I don't need to start them with a Variac, but I'm wondering.

BTW, feel free to ignore these questions if answering them would be too major a task; I bet it is. I undertstand. I should buy some old service oriented books. I purchased 3 books on tube gear written before the 50s a few months back, but they are more theory then service.

Thanx much for your thoughts,
Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.