Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Yes, quite informative...

Hello there, I'm glad that info was helpful. Since this amp can sometimes sound hot up top, with certain systems, I would not remove the snubber or compensation networks. Try the amps stock, first, at least. With a light Variac warm-up, they usually work, even if stored for long time periods. They were overbuilt.
Some of the versions I have seen use some questionable grade coupling caps. Those can certainly be upgraded. I would beef up the first power supply cap, which is after the input filter choke. That will give the bass some more speed and punch ability.
Speaking of smaller output transformers, sometimes the smaller ones have better high frequency extension, than their larger brethren. This might be because the smaller coils tend to yield less interwinding capacitances and leakage inductances, thus less high filtering. Whatever the reasons, sometimes the smaller ones are good ones. In this amp, the PPParallel tubes have a plate to plate load that is low, which is another justification for a smallish output, not needing high primary inductance. Let us know what you hear and Good Luck bringing these heavyweight brutes back to life...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.