Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Certainly,.. Try 'Em, You Might Like the Dukes...

Hi Steve,
Let us see if we can come to some common good thoughts. There was, and is, no condescending statements or thoughts on my end. You simply inferred this. I did not try to speak down to you. Now, let's see if I can help you and earn some trust.
The loudspeaker taps on these amps are only the 25V and Bal. connections. If I recall, both of those taps have less than 1 ohm DCR to the Common tap, making it a balanced, Center-Tapped winding, with the mode switch set to Position 1 or 3. (Setting the mode switch to Position 2 ungrounds the 25V/Bal taps leaving them floating, and usually requiring only 16 Ohm speakers). Using either the 25V or Bal. connection and the Common connection, most 8 Ohm speakers are easily accommodated. Even using the 25V and Bal connections for the speaker leads, can accommodate many 8 Ohmers.
This amp does have some trouble with some 4 Ohm speakers, with some glare in the highs, sometimes. Experimentation will decide for you.
Tubes are easy to prefer, but not so easy to find. 7867s have black plates. So, any 6CD6GAs with black plates, will mimic the designers intentions best. Since these amps are PPParallel, tube matching is not that critical. The amp is very stable with 8 or 16 Ohm speakers. These beasts run cool all the time, even in continuous useage.
They have two direct coupled stages, which helps making them sound very fast with transients. The global feedback is actually less than many typical feedback type amps.
From your reply, it appears that you do not like feedback. I don't blame you, either. Feedback can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. Like you, I first use an amp as the design engineers intended, stock. The only upgrading I have done with these amps is changing the coupling caps and adding power supply capacitance to beef up the bass output. They have a unique character. With some electrostats, they are the king, I kid you not. With inefficient, sealed woofers, they can cook. I used them in the '80s, with Advents that had AR9 woofers. 1812 Overtures had neighbors calling the police on me. I briefly used them with Altec 755As, but they were too glarey. 755As can often sound too hot up top. My older, speaker guru buddy had a pair of WE728Bs on bass and 755As for treble, and ran them with the Dukes for quite a while. That was an intense sound.
But, the 755A alone, full range, is not their best match. Neither is the Norelco 8 inchers. Let us know what you think...
Concerning the concert going, that was a simple suggestion, no snide intentions meant. Everyone should learn to use acoustical instruments and voices as their reference, don't you think ?
At the time I used these most, my reference amps were Brook 22A, 2A3 PPtriode monoblock integrated amps, very upgraded. Then, my world changed when I began using Push-Pull Triode amps, with no feedback loops, and interstage transformers to split the phase. I still prefer preamps with feedback RIAA equalization, though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.