Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

another Philips 787 owner with questions

I'm at least temporarily the new owner of a Philips 787 receiver. Might eventually go to auction for my favorite local charity, but I could see myself hanging on to it, too. There is a lot to be admired in the build quality, for sure. Haven't done much listening yet.

My example has fixed up, cleaned up, and tuned up pretty well - but I'm wondering if anyone knows the recommended procedure and spec for adjusting the output stage bias current. One channel won't go below about 20mA, which seems high for the extreme low end of the setting. I'd probably just set it there and not give it a second thought, except that there doesn't seem to be any temperature compensation, and that makes me wonder if there's some specific warmup procedure.

There's another thing that I wonder if anyone else finds odd. While aligning the front end, I realized that the tuning scale's numbers and tick marks don't seem to be particularly related to each other. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chuck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - another Philips 787 owner with questions - chuck.schneider 06:18:28 03/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.