Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

May I explain?

Intended or not, I found the tone of your response to my question somewhat condescending and preachy. Thus my response. I try not to be argumentative but I was also hoping for something more substantial than what I got.

While it's generally accepted that specs and measurements don't always correlate well with the listening experience, I've found that most amps that sound good also measure "good". I therefore place some value on the technical aspects of an amp. You seem to not value them...so be it.

On paper the Dukane amps have much going against them for high quality music ranging from the small OPT to the use of global corrective feedback over four stages to domestically unfriendly aesthetics and physical layout to limited ability to match common speaker loads.

Obviously you have actual experience with these amps and I do not. I would have appreciated concrete tips and suggestions on how to get the best out of them such as what OPT sec tap to use for speakers of X impedance. Or what if anything to do about the snubber networks on the primary of the OPT. Or what brand of 6CD6GA works well. Or what parts should be replaced or upgraded. Or... Instead you dismiss my technical concerns and proceed to praise the amps with vague and difficult to relate to descriptions of the sound. IOW, "trust me" on a subjective basis when I don't really "know" the reviewer.

As for how I buy new equipment; yes I bring a familiar CD and not test equipment in a retail setting. I listen attentively to the equipment under consideration; I do not audition it. Used or vintage equipment (where my primary equipment interest now lies) is an entirely different situation. For this stuff, test equipment is an absolute necessity. Nothing, even from reliable sources goes into the chain w/o verification of proper operation and comparison to mfgrs specs.

And then you end you second post with this "Maybe you should listen to your system more. Go to some acoustical music concerts and train your ear to how music sounds live." I guess it just provides further proof of the wisdom of that old proverb about what happens when one assumes...you regarding my "experience" and me about the status of your 475s.

BTW, as a result of this discussion, I'm going to fire up and verify operation of one of the 475s. If all is OK I'm going to do some objective measurements and then AB it with a SS amp of decent quality on a pair of difficult-to-drive moving coil monitors. I don't have great expectations but who knows?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.