Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Hoping for a History Leason #3: Bell Howell Cinema tube amplifiers

Since I recently started looking, I've been seeing a -lot- of similar amps to these being sold on eBay; long narrow 6V6 Push Pull amps about 14w from IPC and many others licensed from Western Electic. I purchased a 'mondo' Bogan vintage theater amp in my "leason #1" thread, and I know about the Altec "Sound of the Theater" tube amps (I let one auction go buy I wish I would have won). They're all hi power. When were these amps used? Also, this amp has 3 6V6 tubes. Does anyone know 'when' the 3rd tube is used?

I've read a lot about 'the 6v6 sound' here. It seems to be what I'd need in a home theater setup. I'm thinking I am going to give three of these a try as amps for the tweeters to be used above about 4.5K - 8K (I'll determine what the best x-over from the full-sized smith horns to the mini-smith horns should be; imlying tweeters are mini-smith horns on JBL 2402 drivers). The drivers are efficient, but that mini-smith horn really negates a lot of it. I'm not sure if 14w will cut it. I do like it 'loud'... ;) Has anyone used these amps as such? Can I expect decent treble output from the tubes and x-formers? Is the Bell & Howell name ok? There were some amps I was going to bid on that I decided not to based on some epic threads on old vintage tube amps I read here; I don't recall of B&H was included in the 'exclude' list.

Thanx again for all that provide some insight here and/or in the other 2 threads.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Hoping for a History Leason #3: Bell Howell Cinema tube amplifiers - m8o 23:40:47 03/10/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.