Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Hoping for a History Leason #2: Dukane 1A475C

This amp I have read about. However I'm not sure about its origins and what not. I looked for this amp explicitly based on some of Mr. Rosen's long, helpful, and enjoyable threads I read.

Would love to hear thoughts on this, and perhaps compare and/or contrast this 7867 based amp with the Bogen 807 based amp I asked about in my Leason #1 post. Specifically, will they match? Is there an analogy between the two? I'll be driving JBL 2445 an 2447 drivers with Smith Horns; one of either this or the 807 based Bogen will drive a Klipsch La Scala bass horn (low impedance @ 4 ohms ; I might use a hi-powered EV autoformer)

Actually, let me ask. I expect it shouldn't be too bad to drive a 16 ohm driver off the "25V" tap on either amp (this of the Bogen 807 based amp). But what about a 4 ohm driver? Should I expect "constant-current" style amplification (which is actually what I am hoping to experiment with -- that's another story) or something all together different and possibly transformer destroying? I guess I could continue to drive the bass of my La Scalas (I'm tri-amping all 3 front speakers) with the Butler Hybrid, but I was hoping I could use pure tube with them too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Hoping for a History Leason #2: Dukane 1A475C - m8o 23:16:37 03/10/07 (15)

You can not post to an archived thread.