Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: The year, 1962

Great fun!

Let's see, in 1962 I was out of college and living in a batchelor pad with 2 other guys. We were all engineers for United Aircraft divisions.

Our TV was an old 23 tube RCA black and white that wouldn't die.

The hi-fi was my Eico HF-20 with a Garrard RC-88 changer (single play spindle, of course)and the speaker was a huge Able-Wood cabinet with a 15" wharfedale woofer, an 8" wharfedale for the mid, and an AR ST-3 "range extender" sitting on top. It was the AR-3's 1 3/8" dome tweeter and high pass filter in a box.

We had quite an inventory of wheels: my 1958 Alfa romeo Spyder, my '55 Olds convertible, and my old green '55 Pontiac 4 door, George's 1959 Jaguar XK-150, George's 1950 Ford with the Olds engine, Charlie's 1961 TR-4, and a Ducatti 200 CC scrambles bike. Plus 2 sailboats: my Sunfish, and George's DIY (which kept trying to be a submarine).

It was the year I got engaged; and yes, I'm still married to her.

It was good times. Innocent times, but cold war times, too. Kerouak's books were out and all the buzz. Kennedy was president. Folk songs and psuedo folk songs were popular, and Joan Baez was new and making a big name. The New Christie Minstrels, the Kingston Trio, Chad Mitchel Trio, Pete Seeger, and Bob Dillon was just recently out, too. Mary travers hadn't joined Peter and Paul yet. Oh yes, and Julie Christy ("the misty miss Christy"), sigh!

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.