Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

just think

Glorified Rice

2 cups rice (boiled)
2 cups pineapple chunks
2 cups whipped cream -- real whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
maraschino cherries for decorating

Boil rice until tender. Cool thoroughly. Then add pineapple
chunks and sugar to rice and mix.

Whip cream and fold into rice mixture. Top with Cherries.

=======
My basic problem with Glorified Rice (The kids all called this CHLOROfied Rice when I was in Grade school) is that I never quite figured out if it should be served as a salad, an appetizer, a side dish or a dessert! Depending on how much sugar you added, it could be any of these! For how many other dishes can you say that?

This recipe seems way too "uppedy" in terms of ingredients. A proper chlorofied rice should use only a generic, store-brand version of Kool Whip along with a can of Fruit Cocktail containing maraschino cherries. The idea of adding a single maraschino to the top of the glop is just way more upscale than I can begin to comprehend. Somehow I have trouble with the whole idea of "decorating" chlorofied rice.

You could start with a can of fruit cocktail, and then add either Jell-O or cooked rice and generic Kool Whip on the fly--or possibly all of these?.

My mom (rest her soul) and I had an on-going battle in the 50s and 60s. Every Sunday nite was Jell-O with fruit cocktail night, alternating Sundays red and orange. But my mom insisted on adding sliced bananas. I could tolerate the Jell-O and fruit cocktail but I've hated overripe bananas from day one--still do. Guess what. The banana slices turned brown as the Jell-O jelled. And even worse, we were still eating on this glop mid-week.
My mom's motto was "never throw Jell-O out."
D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • just think - DavidLD 08:55:54 03/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.