Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

AT440MLa came in mail yesterday. An excellent cart for vintage tt.

Had ordered a 440MLa and it came yesterday. Hooked it up to my Dual CS5000 and went through all the necessary adjustments. Still not sure about the VTA. Info indicates that its set at 20 degrees so I figure that if the tone arm is level that the VTA on the headshell should be at zero.

At any rate the reason I'm posting in vintage is the brag on my CS5000. This table seems to take every kind of vinyl thrown at it and with this cart tracks great. The AT does a decent job of playing those noisy records as quietly as possible. I think I've completed all the tweaks, cleaning and refinishing that I'm going to do on the Dual.

I'm impressed on its "blue collar" approach to vinyl. It just gets the job done and quite well. I'd recommend this table to anyone with a wide variety of vinyl conditions in their collection in a heartbeat. The AT cart appears to have a lot of potential. I'm anticipating some break in time as the mids seem to me a bit forward right now and the highs and lows a bit withdrawn. However, the channel separation creates an impressive stereo field. The Large Advents I'm using really appear to appreciate the range of the cart also and perform without breaking a sweat. I was having a ground loop issue with a previous Empire cartridge and this completely disappeared with the AT. Now only have to solve some acoustic feedback when I really crank it.

Peace,
Hb

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - AT440MLa came in mail yesterday. An excellent cart for vintage tt. - HamBone77 06:43:12 03/09/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.