Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Marantz MR 235 or Philips 796?

Thanks Brian for your reponse. Reading yours and Radioactive's posts on Philips Lab Series receivers drew me to these pieces, but I recently happened upon a Marantz MR 235 that had been cleaned internally (lamps replaced, switches and pots cleaned) and had its output transistors replaced. I later read FR7GSWL's review of an MR 235 drawing its lineage directly to pre-Philips era units (it does look alot like both the 1530 and the 1535).

I am drawn toward warm authoritative sound which strikes a good balance between recreation of ambiance and detail retrieval, and the MR 235, for the most part, delivers. My Maggies SMGAs are a fairly easy load (I've used them with everthing from an HT receiver to a 20WPC NAD), but are also quite revealing of the quality of amplification feeding them. While full and warm, the Marantz tends to sound a little forward and slightly opaque through the middle IMHO. On the positive side, the tuner produces the most balanced and authoritative sound of any receiver's tuner section that I have heard.

So I am indeed impressed by the Marantz, but would still give the nod to my Kenwood KR 5600 which manages to sound warm while being a bit quicker and more open overall. This said, my search for the ultimate receiver continues.

How does the Philips 796 sound?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.