Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Marantz MR 235 or Philips 796?

I have a 796 and the sound is closer to what I'll term a very good high end system sound than most receivers I own. I've not heard the Marantz.

The Marantz designs during their period of ownership by Philips has at best been less than well received and thought of by many. They knockk the Philips ownership. I have a mixed feeling as to the cause and effect relationship as Philips produced soe of the best sounding receivers IMHO; the Lab Series. However, that said I must admit the series was not the company's design product but that of a company they bought out, Magnavox.

The Philips do not go for much money as they are not high on the radar so my suggestion would be to buy and try and compare in your system against the Marantz and then decide and if need be sell the 1 that comes in 2nd.

It would not surprise me if in the end, you scratch your head finding that each has a different sound neither of which is objectionable and neither of which you can decide is misrepresenting the presentation; only delivering slightly different interpretations depending on the unit's voicing. I have this issue between my 796 and my Sony STR6060FW and could not decide to this day which I'd keep if I could only keep 1. When comparing either to my other receivers it is a far less issue and the Sony or Philips would be a clear winner.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.