Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: surround replacement

If the shims fit that tight you cant really tell if the cone is being pulled sideways or not as you glue.

I think the binder clip method could have worked better.

1. glue inner edge of surround to cone

2 let dry

3. Place paper binder clips temporarily around frame to clamp surround to frame, working from opposite sides.

4. keep checking the centering of the cone by pressing the cone center up and down as you add clips

5. Adjust clips and positioning of surround to frame as necessary if cone starts to bind. The cone needs to move through its full range of motion without any scaping resistance.

5a I think you could actually test play the driver with clips in place to see if there are any rattles or binding problems, and have the option of making adjustments to the foam position if there are problems.

6. Remove clips one at a time and glue underneath, always working from opposite sides, again checking for free cone travel as you go along.

Some drivers are just very difficult to foam. I am told that professionals only are successful in about 7 of 9 cases when refoaming the 4 inch Bose drivers.

You could always send them off to a place such as www.simplyspeakers.com for a professional refoam. It will cost about $60

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: surround replacement - DavidLD 04:33:17 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.