Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Marantz MR 235 or Philips 796?

Howdy,

This is my first post at the asylum. I've been an audiophile for quite a few years now, and have been into vintage stuff for almost as long. Recently I have been turned on to vintage tuners and receivers. I just love to watch those lamps light and dials turn!

In past searches, I have seen a lot of positive comments on a number of Japanese receivers from the 70s. I recently purchased a Kenwood Kr 5600 (love the tuner, and the pre-amp/amp make sweet, open tube-like music).

My wife is a long suffering audio widow who tolerates my continual cluttering of her house with my big sound making boxes, but I think she may have finally snapped. At the price that most of the 70s receivers and tuners go for on eBay, I think she thinks its only a matter of time before the house is filled to the rafters. I think that she will let me buy one more piece. So it comes down to this final choice.

I am currently auditioning a Marantz MR 235, but also have a lead on a Philips 796. I like the sound of the Marantz, and it seems to live happily with my Maggies (SMGAs), but am intrigued by all the great things that I have read here about Philips Lab Series receivers.

So ladies and gentlemen, if you could choose only one, which would it be?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Marantz MR 235 or Philips 796? - Ace of Pace 15:32:20 03/07/07 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.