Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: thanks for the Worst - I wonder now what was the biggest revelation

The time I heard:

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on a pair of 1st generation Bose 901 speakers. Amplifier was Mcintosh 275. Source was Advent 201 cassette with CrO2 tape and Dolby B noise reduction. Room was way too small for this system, but I loved the sound.

A family friend's system featuring a Marantz 8B amplifier and 7C preamp. Speakers, believe it or not, were Empire Grenadier and they sounded very good playing classical music.

Led Zep, Stairway to Heaven played, on 4 JBL L100 speakers with a 4 channel receiver. Source was reel to reel tape at 15 IPS. I loved watching the excursion of the white cone of the JBL woofer when the lowest notes were played.

Allison Acoustics loudspeakers, models I, II, III, and IV. These speakers could make a piano sound, well, like a piano.

Magnepan MG-I speakers. I did not know what imaging meant when discussing speakers until I heard the MG-I. My first serious audio purchase after college.

Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers, first powered by a Yamaha amplifier (this model amplifier looked like a squat pyramid with LED power meter lights, then powered by a PS Audio 60 watt amplifier and PS audio preamplifier. I know the PS Audio amplifier did not have the power to drive the DQ-10 speakers to full output, but the coherence, soundstage, and musical nature of this combo put the Yamaha amplifier to shame. Maybe the Yamaha was malfunctioning, but it was easy to hear that one combo sounded like music and the other like garbage.

Listening to a Fisher 400 receiver and noticing that after about 3/4 of an hour, once the Fisher warmed up, it sounded better. It sounded more musical and the playback became more focused and coherent. Thermal equillibrium or something related made a big difference.

Listening to a variety of factory duplicated recordings on reel to reel tape through high quality headphones and and discovering the wealth of ambient information captured all those years ago in the sound booths and in the recording studios. Sinatra singing a long way off at the far end of a large recording studio. McCartney singing a voice track in a tiny recording booth surrounded by sound baffles. This and other amazing ambient information passes through most tube equipment unscathed, but few solid state amplifiers pass very much of this ambient sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: thanks for the Worst - I wonder now what was the biggest revelation - mkmelt 20:28:00 03/06/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.