Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: The Stereo stuff I hated the most

Marantz 140 power amp. The stupid thing had no bass to speak of. Also in that category, a Carver 200 magnetic power amp. No bass there either.

B&W 602.2 speakers. To this day I have no idea how I managed to like these in the shop. Aside from the muddy bass, the suck out in the 4 khz region, and the untamed woofer peak above 4 kHz they lacked detail and didn't image very well.

Bose 301 series IV speakers. Never could get them to sound right in my room. I liked the earlier models, but this one was bad.

KLH 355 "Baron" tower speakers. A 10" 3 way tower with Peerless 1" dome tweeter and cone mid. Ported woofer, series crossover, and a gorgeous tower cabinet. Sounded like crap.

Bozak B-401. 12" Bozak woofer, 6" metal cone mid and 2 x 2.5" metal cone tweeters mounted separately and high up in a way too small box. Bozak's feeble attempt to compete with KLH and AR. No bass below 60 Hz. None! Plus the crossover was fitted with polar caps. Nice mids, but no lows and nothing above 10 kHz. I gave away the Bozak drivers and used the cabinets for a DIY project.

Dynaco Stereo 80. Badly designed el cheapo version of the Stereo 120. Not that I was crazy about the 120 either.

Oddly, I had a Garrard Lab 80 and after some mods it worked very well with higher VTF cartridges. But i kept it away from open windows.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The Stereo stuff I hated the most - Bold Eagle 17:24:07 03/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.