Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

My least favorite stuff

I haven't had much that I really disliked, but at the bottom of my favorites list were:

BSR changers. Had a bazillion of 'em as a kid. Yuck. They didn't destroy my records because I had them set up properly (or at least as close as you could get) with mostly Shure cheapo cartridges. But not a great turntable sound-wise. They did always work, though.

Technics SA-370 receiver. (I think that was the model) Nice looking 80s receiver with pretty blue LCD display. Problem was, there was low-level tuner "swooshing" artifacts no matter what source the thing was set to. That, and every once in awhile the speaker protection relays would kick in & you'd have to unplug it to reset it. Annoying.

Fisher piece of utter crap cassette deck. HORRIBLE wow & flutter. Took it back & got something else immediately after bringing it home. I had a few 80s Fisher pieces and all of them were total junk. "Studio Standard", my ass.

Realistic plastic direct-drive turntable. Worked ok, but awful isolation from extraneous vibrations. This thing picked up everything. Even on a stable shelf on a concrete floor, you could fart in the house next door and it would pick it up. I paid $3 for it at a thrift, so no big deal.

Now I'm very happy with my gear. Listening to a Phil Woods LP on it now, in fact. Great music on a great hi-fi is a real joy.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.