Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Will Scott 299A work with my speakers? + other ?s

I use my Scott 299A with Dynaco A25's which have about the same efficiency as your speakers...plenty of volume in a medium sized room. Unless you are listening to really loud rock you'll be OK.

There are two versions of this amp..the original 299 (power tubes run front to back...and the later 299 (power tubes run from side to side). They have slightly different schematics. There is a Sams photofact that has the schematic of the early version. For the later version, the schematic in Vacuum Tube Valley (VTV) vol 8 (vacuumtube.com) is closer. Either way, the issue has a nice write up of the hsitory of the 299A/B series.

I redid mine with the VTV upgrade kit and new above chassis electrolytics. I am using JJ EL84's which work very nicely....as well as 7687 driver tubes. For the 12AX7's I've used Telefunkens, Mullards and the newer JJ's...all work well.

Good luck- MAK

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Will Scott 299A work with my speakers? + other ?s - dadbar 15:37:07 03/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.