Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Updating JBL L88

I just put in one 035Ti tweeter I got from E-bay. The seller only had one but I got it a great price and it's in excellent condition. I had already replaced the 8mf cap and those cheapo terminals from the 70's with some very nice yet inexpensive unit from PE.
Since I could now do a left/right comparison I thought why not try it out. If I didn't like It I wasn't out all that much.
I must say that I first I did hear all that much difference. but after a while I realized the sound stage was much wider. My usual listening position it just to the right of center because the light it better there because I usually read and listen. I noticed that the left speaker was much clearer. I almost always have the tone and balance at 12 oclock.
On an excellent SACD I just picked up of the 1812 overture with some very nice cannon shots the whole orchestra seemed more forward. On a very nice remaster of Dire Straits was also more up front and lsitening position was less critical. Overall I am very pleased with my 1/2 upgrade. I may need to decrease the tweeter level a bit with two in place. But the original Lpads are working well so that won't be a problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Updating JBL L88 - joetech 13:38:25 03/03/07 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.