Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Very good insights....

BambiB, and my experiences with their LS-3 and LS-8 Line Stages mirror your experiences. In the case of the LS-8, I was able to procure the upgrade kit and do the work myself, thereby taking the mystery out of what was done to improve it. They provided schematics and drawings of the mods so I could evaluate their approach.

In this case, there was, indeed, quite a bit of improvement between the LS-8 version I and II. The changes were quite involved and required that certain components be installed and mounted in specific ways. Things I would not have expected, like sound-deadening foam panels, were included as well as a new set of rubber feet. My impressions were that they did their homework on the improvements. BTW, the kit I purchased was intended for distributors outside of the US who would do the updates in those countries.

So, with that as a reference point, I'd expect to hear wonderful things with the upgrade of an old SP3. Still, for your estimates of the total investment, there are quite a few alternatives.

Oh, and on that issue of your gear becoming 'vintage', I'd suggest that, in fact, you were really just ahead of your time in picking the right gear!

BTW, I'm one of those Mac guys that has no problem bringing old tube gear up to date with new components of the original values and thinks its the right way to go. Seems like AR thinks the same way......

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.