Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Upgrading Audio Research

Tromatic,

The SP3 seems to have a special following and this is embodied in the fact that Audio Research is offering an upgrade 30+ years later that costs as a substantial portion of what the premaplifier did new.

I've never actually heard an SP3 before and then after the current upgrade, so I can;t comment directly, but from my exceperience with other vintage gear suggests a little caution in upgrading Audio Research. ARC has a reputation for upgrading that infuriates some with what is seens as constant expensive changes that claim to substatniatlly improve sound which triggers in the owners a but of pique, "Why did you sell this to me as the best thing ever made and then a year later, make a MKII acalling it the best?". The answer is that ARC does so much constant refinement and re-evaluation in light of experience and new components aand they pass these on in products.

Since 1985 I've been a very happy Audio Research SP8 owner and the SP8 had no less than 7 versions. Mine is still completely original including tubes and it won't be long until I have to replace the caps and tubes, and it's a debate in my mind already whether I will have ACR replace the big orange Spragues with the white Infincaps of the Rev 7 or keep the sound as closely to it's original sound. This is a debate too while I'm preparing to rehabilitate a very original McIntosh MR67 tuner- will "hot-rodding" add something in one place and take away elsewhere? Old McIntosh seems to some with a lot of warnings about pushing it in unintended direction with modern boutique pieces as the overall balance of the original is shoved to one side or another.

My sense with ARC is that they are usually so refined by the time they're sold they are usualy very useful for a long time, upgrades without very careful overall consideration can be dangerous- both convincing but it seems with an unintended penatly elsewhere, but probably the factory upgrade of the SP3 will give it some qualities of the later 12AX7 based SP's- it will bcoem "faster" and posssibly a bit "leaner" or more neutral. And, I say when shifting preamp neutrality- in either direction, be careful what you wish for! A lot of people get very attached to the kind of distortions they like better, like a "warmer" or "tubey" sound. I like the romantic tube sound a lot, but if it's too much sweets in the diet after awhile I tend to return to the enthusiastic clairty and dynamics of later ARC.

As I think the SP8 is the ultimate expression of the SP3/12AX7 line, my suggestion would be: 0ne- try and hear sP3s orignal and C-upgrade as closely to side by side as possible, and in light of the cost of the SP3 upgrade, Two: consider an SP8. SP3s are valued at between $800-1200 now and if the upgrade is what $900?- the total cost of $1700-$2100 provides a lot of alternate choices!

A difficult decision and I think getting to hear an updated SP3 and compare to later ARC 12AX7 preamps- including the current SP16- might be the only clear way to answer.

The sad part of the story for me is so much of the gear I bought new is now moving onto Vintage Asylum!

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.