Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Any ARC SP-3C owners? What do you think of the upgrade?

Hi, Brian:

Yes, basically, there is very little difference in the circuit designs of the Marantz 7, McIntosh C-22 and of course, the C-11 preamplifiers.

I do not know if you are very familiar with it, but in the 1/81 issue of Audio Amateur, there appeared an interesting article by Walt Jung which concerned updating the original design of the Marantz 7 tube preamplifier. I actually modified one of my Marantz 7's with the majority of Jung's recommendations at that time, including the circuit for a regulated filament supply and B+ source.

The improvement was staggering to say the least. But, considering what I did to my preamp, in lieu of today's nutsy prices, it really more or less destroyed the resale value of that preamp.

I cannot speak with personal knowledge about the ARC SP-3 or many of its versions, but I do know that ARC was famous for constantly "improving" on all of their preamps, some only a matter of months after launching products in that market. Such was the nature of the company.

That was back in the seventies, for goodness sakes and I see that nothing has changed, procedurally.

Of all "post-Marantz and McIntosh vintage tube designs", I personally like my old C-J PV2a, updated with new caps. There is nothing particularly exotic in there, either, and yet, the unit sounds terrific to me.

As they say in audio these days: "Oh, well!"

:-)

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Any ARC SP-3C owners? What do you think of the upgrade? - Marantzguy 11:20:55 03/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.