Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I agree

My SP3-A1 was repaired (ARC rebuilt the PS to original specifications) one month before they offered the SP3-C "upgrade". My unit came back with a letter describing the mod and with a special price of $500, as I had just spent $400 to repair the old design. I called ARC and they told me the reason for the "upgrade" was that the can caps of the original design were unavailable and the new power supply board used different, more available parts. ARC also said that the sound would change towards sounding like one of their newer units. I have owned a SP9 and thought the SP3 was a better preamp in all respects. I don't want my SP3 to sound sterile and cold like a newer ARC design!

I have an SP3 and an SP6 and prefer them to the newer ARC designs by a wide margin. I don't think the SP3-C mod is a worthwhile investment. If a person wants a newer sounding ARC preamp they should just buy an SP9 or the better sounding SP8. The SP9 will be cheaper, the SP8 will sound better and both would be cheaper than buying a used SP3 and then spending the $1000 to "upgrade" it through ARC.
--
Al G

Silence is Golden
Duct Tape is Silver

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree - anumber1 07:23:28 03/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.