Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Any ARC SP-3C owners? What do you think of the upgrade?

A couple of years ago I spoke to ARC about the upgrade as the 3 is 1 of my all time favorite preamps. Their comments to me were that it updates the sound to modern perceptions of what a preamp shoould sound like. When pressed further they sad the result is that it changes the sound "making it better". Well, as the 3 is 1 of my favorites the way it is, I decided that the mod would more likely than not move the units away from what I loved about it so the idea of the mod was taken of the list. The seller of the unit I was looking at during the time picked up a newed ARC, listened for a few weeks and returned it withdrawing the 3 from sale and swearing he'll never be drunk enough to ever part with it.

The 3 is based on an excellent, well proven preamp circuit that was the basis for the Marantz 7 and the McIntosh C22 but improved on and easily the best of the design. I've always maintained that if Saul had decided to issue a 7C MKII, it more then likley would have been the 3 but better looking.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.