Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Any ARC SP-3C owners? What do you think of the upgrade?

Matt
I have upgraded three of them in the last 5 years for people but I dont change the circuit context..The sp3 is predicated on the old vintage preamps with 12ax7s and the upgrade that ARC does dries it up in the worst way because the last one I did had the upgrade done by ARC and the guy was PISS_D..
I basically put in k40 pios in the innerstages and stealth power supply diodes and premium WW resistors in the power supply along with poly shunt filters of the 10uf range..I did a whole host of other things but the guy was so pleased and he did get audio research to refund some of the money he paid to them somehow.
I think there may be a post on here about it and I also had gone thru the phono stage and dropped the hiss even more at full out.
If you like the vintage character and the NO BS tube sound,dont do the ARC upgrade.I have an sp6b and that thing is nowhere near as good as the sp3.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Any ARC SP-3C owners? What do you think of the upgrade? - Michael Samra 21:28:18 03/01/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.