Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Not a dumb question but no simple or universal answer.

As several suggested, the speaker match is important. What sensitivity? What impedance? How complex is the crossover? Tube amps VS SS at the same output rating? Too many variables for an absolute answer.

Also, keep in mind the rule of doubling power to achieve 3 dB increase in sound level. Thus, a change from a 70 wpc amp compared to a 100 wpc amp may relate much more to amp design than simple power rating.

For example, I will admit that my change from 150 wpc into 4 ohms to different amps with an 800 wpc rating into 4 ohms made a significant sonic improvement. This has been corroborated by all friends who are familiar with my system - so it's not just me and pride of ownership. But the new amps are a completely different design, including Class A operation for the first 25 watts, so it is not simply a matter of horsepower.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not a dumb question but no simple or universal answer. - M3 lover 10:07:46 03/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.