Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: COME ON!!! How about a different perspective???

Steve, you make some very good points...but my arguement is made via my own experiences with gear and some very specific experiences with the SA-16.

I pointed out the "Sound of Capacitors" website because it was easier than typing out an arguement...but I seem to be typing now so I guess it was a moot point.

I have rebuilt several SA-16 and 30-A's. The two are extremely similar (one just has to glance at a schematic to see this) and even share the same output transformer (except the SA-16 has two since it is a stereo amplifier). I carried out tests using my own ears and others on a stock SA-16, and found in every case (that is every persons ears) that the ceramic caps were what was holding the amp back. The only thing changed at this point was the bypass electrolytic in the bias circuit.

Now the stock SA-16 did not sound like total sonic dreck, but there was a layer of grit to the sound and some people made comments about the sound being "off". Since everyone seems to agree that ceramic caps (like mica caps) "last forever" I do not think it had much to do with the ageing of the components.

I then changed the coupling caps to polyprops, and we listened again. The amplifier did not "completely" change as some people like to say, but it did wake up and become much more "involving" (as hi-fi reviewers like to say) and the previous layer of grit was completely absent.

Now to be fair, on the next SA-16 I get in the shop I will change the original ceramic caps to new production ceramic caps and perform some more listening tests...but I still feel that they are a big no-no.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.