Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

don't worry - be happy

I took a look at the auction, looks like an okay price for an ST-70 and not outside the range for these guys (they trade pretty consistently around $300-$350 with a few exceptions up or down depending on condition). The fact that its not in an original chassis might be a minor negative, but remember the real value in these amps isn't so much the chassis, which was a simple, utilitarian steel box, but in the output transformers, which obviously are there.

I'm not clear from what you've posted whether the tubes are included or not - if they are you've made a reasonable deal, if not, perhaps a little less reasonable, but if all the claims are true, you've come out ahead - if you bought an ST-70 (say $300) and replaced sockets, caps and resistors (easily anywhere from $30 or more on up) and got it all cleaned up, you'd be in the same plae money-wise.

If the old tubes have any life left in them, depending on what they are, $35 might be a good deal (if they're Mullards, for example).

You've bought it, so use it and enjoy it - I'd be surprised if you can't sell it later for an amount similar to what you've paid.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.