Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

For all the reasons mentioned plus...

ease of use. Threading the machine, rewind, want to play that one song near the end well there's fast forward for that. Production cost. Record companies could press a record for less then the cost of the empty reel and in a fraction of the time it took to record the tape even on a high speed duplicator. Also as mentioned real time tapes were few and far between also expensive. The ones produced on high speed duplicators ran at 10 times real time. That meant that for the duplicator that 10K signal now became a 100K signal or at least tried to. Tapes don't store as well or as easily as records and you sure don't want them near anything magnetic. Historically even with it's record capability, high quality reel to reel machines were considerably more expensive then a comparable sounding turntable and what source material would you record anyway? BTW I own a Studer A80. It sounds great, it's fun to watch and it's the most seldom used and impractical piece of gear I own but it's part of the family and I love it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • For all the reasons mentioned plus... - Door Nail 01:52:36 02/24/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.