Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

LP's

I still find it very strange that you really think that LP's are an inferior medium to CD's. LP's are a way more tedious medium than CD's (by a longshot!!!) but I still feel that given all the work involved that it is still the superior format sonically.

If you are using a low or mid level vintage turntable/arm/cart combo, and playing some bad condition records I could see your point...but even my first foray in to serious vinyl playback a few years ago (a Thorens TD-160 with a stock arm and 1975 Shure V15 III) still blew away about 90% of the CD's in my collection (I own about 500), and LP's form the core of my music library due to that fact (about 2,500).

I no longer use the Thorens, and am using a VPI HW19 series table with a Sumiko Blackbird cart. I am planning on upgrading soon to a current VPI table...and VPI tables are really a brand that shows you how modern advancements in technology and manufacturing can be applied to LP playback.

There are quite a few people into hi end vintage idler drive tables...such as the Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD-124, and the various broadcast tables (Fairchild, EMT, Gates, etc.) and while I have heard extremely involving sound from these setups (the the point were I was ready to plunk down serious cash to put one together) they still (IMO) get beat by anything in the $1000-$2000 bracket new. Considering that you will easily pay $1500 just for a vintage hi end idler deck (just the deck no arm, no plinth)...spending $2000 on an entire new turntable/arm combo does not look very bad...and there are plenty of great condenters in that bracket.

In my personal main system, I use a mix of vintage tube amplification from the 1950's and 1960's, but they are paired up with a pair of Triangle Celius ES speakers. I really do not think that tube power amp technology has really advanced much since the 1960's (some people do), but I do feel that driver technology has come a LONG way from the mid century mark. I still use several pairs of vintage Bozak speakers, and I love they way they sound, but they pale in comparison to almost any new speaker in the $1000+ (retail) bracket.

A $1000 is not a lot these days to spend on a pair of speakers. My Bozak B-302A's were bought for about $500-$600 in 1967 (at least according to the original owner I purchased them from- and he got them on sale from Macy's!!!) and you could find new cars in the $1500-$2000 bracket in that year.

I am interested to find out what LP playback system you are using as a benchmark in your comparisons. I have heard many CD playback systems (some that are just insane- $8000 transports and the like) that sound quite good...but they just can't compare to a modestly good LP playback system...and the fact that their owners always use the term "it is very analog like"...always makes me wonder what their actual goal is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.