Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

An enlightened view of Vintage

OK

there are two kinds of people here:
1. those who believe anything made after about 1972 is crap, and their systems are essentially exclusively vintage gear--vintage tubes, vinyl, manual turntables etc..may not even own a CD player since in that world CD's are inferior to vinyl.

2. Those who are picking and choosing from the vintage gear and mixing and combining the best of the vintage items and pairing those items with modern gear as needed. These people are not vintage gear purists in any sense of the term. Big woofer vintage speakers seem to be of greatest interest here, and to a somewhat lesser degree, vintage but normally solid-state receivers.

For me, the people who fall into category 2 are regularly doing far more interesting things than those in category 1. Maintaining a pure vintage gear "museum" that actually plays music from vinyl is a noble effort and I don't want to take anything away from those who pursue that as a passion.

But what I sense is that those people in category 2 are no less passionate about the hobby and are having at least as much fun. Plus they are taking advantage of recent advances in the technology unavailble in 1972 and incorporating that into their systems as well.

I have a white 1965 Chevy II hardtop. It is a lot like it was the day it rolled off the assembly line. But there are bigger fanatics than I, who are into replicating chalk marks the assemblers would have originally put on frame parts at the factory and other such games. But I also have been known to hang out with people who would in a heartbeat replace my 230 "6" with a modern high-hp V8, add modern chrome wheels and tires and paint the car in some candy apple metallic paint just for the fun of it. Oddly enough, the people are all passionate about Chevy II's and somehow all work and play together, just like we do here.

The fun part for me in recent years has been figuring out how to incorporate a mix of modern gear, vintage stuff, and DIY projects into building a front projection theater system that blows me away (often running vintage movies). On occasion I listen to my vintage large Advents driven by a vintage receiver, but the other stuff has more or less taken over from the perspective of my time. And I enjoy listening to the new digital audio cable channels on my gear whether it happens to be vintage, semi-vintage or something I DIYed. Vintage purist, I am not, tho I am committed to keeping my large Advents stock and would to more consider changing the crossovers than I would consider ripping out the "6" from the Chevy II. To each his own I guess.

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - An enlightened view of Vintage - DavidLD 04:37:15 02/23/07 (52)

You can not post to an archived thread.