Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Hi Fi Fetishism

There is surely something I don't understand about the psychology of this hobby. It hit me today. A few weeks ago, a friend gave me a receiver 30 years old that he had stored in his garage. It's a near-the-bottom-of-the-line receiver from a good maker. I told him that I didn't need it, but that I'd be glad to put it on craigslist with a pair of speakers (since I've got lots of extra speakers, too) and give him a fair split of the proceeds. I've probably got four or seven radios hands-down better than that one, and I was planning on trying to get just $30 to $50 out of it on craigslist.

Well, before I got the speakers that I was planning to list it with refoamed, the receiver in my bedroom went in the tank and had to go in for repairs. Based on size considerations, etc, the friend's receiver was an apt temporary replacement, and I put it in service in the bedroom to check out that it works OK, etc, before selling it. It worked fine and sounded fine for about 1 week. Until this morning: it started spontaneously going silent on FM until I jiggled the tuning knob a little. Don't know why, but it was acting up.

So all day today, I'm in a quandary and I don't know why. It's a $30-$50 radio. It will cost at least $65 to get my favorite tech to work it over, no matter how small the problem. The obvious solution is to pitch the SOB. But after it has worked well for me, I'm reluctant to be so callous to the radio. I've recently been working on the psychological problem of becoming attached to things, learning to sell off my excess equipment and speakers that I have lovingly worked over, and that has taught me that I can live without some pretty nice stuff that I have sold. But just carting something that has been a pleasure to me off to the dump is a stronger step that won't come easy. This feeling really caught me by surprise today. Part of it is that my friend has owned this receiver since it was new when he was in college, and I don't want to disappoint him by junking it. But he acted like he was glad to be rid of it when he passed it on to me, so that's not very rational, either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hi Fi Fetishism - Lucas Membrane 18:38:55 02/22/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.