Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

EICO AF-4 online tonight

Mrs. H is on a gurlz night out, so I decided to drag my recently-acquired EICO AF-4 upstairs for a test on some 'real' speakers.

Propping up the AF-4 on a couple pieces of wood (to protect the wool rug from any heat/fire disasters), I hooked the AF-4 to my everyday Marantz CDP and the Fostex FE-207E FR's. As is (all I did was Variac it up and clean out some dust), it is a surprisingly good sounding little amplifier. The sound is, I would say, very creamy compared to the HF-81. HF is clearly rolled-off compared to the HF-81, but not awful. LF is much phatter; doesn't go as low for sure, but richens up the rather lean sounding FE-207E's (ported boxes) rather nicely. Midrange is in borderline 2die4 territory. Plenty of power (at 4wpc, SEP) for the very efficient Fostexes.

So... the HF-81 does sound better, but the AF-4 is no slouch. I suspect it will benefit from a judicious recapping. Hum wasn't too bad, but after 1/2 hour or so of listening, the main 3-section electrolytic was a little warm (so I guess it's got to go).

A few typically not-so-great photos...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(I tried to get arty, without much success)

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - EICO AF-4 online tonight - mhardy6647 18:11:21 02/22/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.