Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Hi Fi Fetishism

Hello,

my .02 cents.

What are the basic psychological and emotional attributes of the male audiophile?

I believe it's crafting, acquiring, looks, and sound - Music, contemplation, introsepction and "child" like toy behavior if you will...no diff. from tool collectors and woodworkers, to shade tree mechanics and grease/lifts and MAC tools...it goes on.

I think it's a search to make something work, understand how it works, and try to get every unce of sound out of a very expensive recording, they all cost $.

I dubt it's control, although some folks are OCD about it and some aren't, tweaks, etc...depends on the depth and commitment to the hobby.

Is there a "control" issue with men and their manipulation of recorded music?

- maybe yes, maybe no - on the one hand then on the other...I have a friend who decorated and spent every dime possible to make a house like a magazine ad, very fancy, up to date and socially COOL...could be said for Motorcycles, choppers, cars, stereos, etc...look at the building industry...wants v. needs...some self actualization and need to comfort inadequacies,maybe control.

Do men "listen" to music differently than women?

My experience, older man, older woman, younger woman, younger man, ipod generation...it varies like personalities..

FWIW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hi Fi Fetishism - Audio Answers 06:06:50 02/22/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.