Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

My speaker design philosophy

There seems to be a debate over which of the extremes you describe are better and most of today's DIY community seem to favor the low distortion drivers that need taming outside of the passband in addition to the main filter components in the crossover. Thus the need for good measurements and simulations to get the filter and drivers married correctly to make the total system. I have no problem with that if that's what one wants.

For me, there's no debate about what I want. I'm well known for using low order series filters and a prerequisite for them to work is that the woofer have no breakup outside of the passband and the tweeter must be able to handle the shallow rolloff of the filter. Period. I like to keep my filtering as simple as possible so I use tamer woofers and more robust tweeters, even with the higher distortion numbers that go with them. I have no doubt that most of the distortions that are measured are likely not even audible in real life, with most drivers, in most systems, and in most listening rooms. Others will argue ANY distortion, no matter how measureable, is a no-no.

I would much rather have a "less than absolutley perfect" driver that sounds good with minimal filtering and "taming" than one I've got to hit nine ways to Sunday to get the nasties out. Plus, I'm not hung up on the Holy Grail of perfectly flat response and the absolute lowest distortion numbers, obviously. I just want to listen to music and not speakers.

There's a lot of naval gazing going on in that part of the hobby these days, IMO.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.