Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Hi Fi Fetishism

If ican comment in the same vein as E-Stat. I am a retired engineering manager. Most of my staff over the years was male. To try and meet affirmative action plans, we were exhorted to increase our female staff levels. We really did try, but female engineers, lab technicians, and drafters are hard to find; and good ones are really hard to find.

If you find the answer to why so few women go into the engineering profession; I think you'll have your answer to the audio question.

Hint: I have two daughters. I raised both with technical stuff all around them and they grew up helping me work on the car and my stereo gear. By the time they were 8 or 9, they could care less. My son grew up in the same environment. By 8 or 9 he was totally into sports. All three liked music and all three can play something. My daughters both went into education in college. But for reasons I don't understand, in his senior year my son decided to go into mechanical engineering. He never built models, he didn't play with the erector set I got him, and he could care less about my hobbies. His interests turned to cars and racing and he eventually got an SCCA competition license. I gave all my kids audio gear from 12 on and upgraded their equipment along the way. The girls both have decent stuff even today, but had I not given it to them, or their husbands bought it, they most likely would not have it.

Why are there not more female physics and chemistry teachers?

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.