Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Hi Fi Fetishism

My degree is in philosophy but I also was a couple courses shout of a psychology degree. I also sold high-end stereo equipment in the 80s so I can anwer you questions but I'm not sure I have the answers you are looking for.

1. As far as I can tell from dealing directly with hundreds male and female audiophiles that the is no one set of psychological nad emotional attributes to male audiophiles. My customers and friends were and extreemly varied group which spanned a number of socio-economic groups and subcultures.

2. With some people control is an issue, but its not particularlly more noticble among audiophiles, music lovers or vintage equipment fans. I have also know a few women who are controle freeks, so the problem is not limited to men.

More women of my generation tended to listen to music as backround music but quite a few men do this too. People interested seriosly in music (men and women) will sit an listen intently. I noticed that younger mem and women tend to listen to mucic as bacground. If they intently listened to the words they might change what they were listening too!

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hi Fi Fetishism - Crazy Dave 12:57:04 02/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.