Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Hi Fi Fetishism

Hello fellow audio folks.

I'm came upon this board while doing some research for a paper I will be presenting in April at the American Popular Culture Conference. It's based on a paper I wrote in graduate school entitled "Hi Fi Fetishism: Audiophilia in Postwar America."

I noticed a lot of threads here that dealt with gender and hi-fi, and this is one area in which I concentrate my analysis. You folks (men, women, hermaphrodites, etc) represent an excellent sample from which to glean some opinions and views regarding gender-specific attributes of audio enthusiasts (audiophiles, if you wish). Any thoughts on my queries would be appreciated. So let me start with a few and see what you have to say. Just to let you know, I am a big record collector and also have a nice pair of German consoles (Grundig/Braun) on which they sound supurb. Ok, some first questions:

What are the basic psychological and emotional attributes of the male audiophile?

Is there a "control" issue with men and their manipulation of recorded music?

Do men "listen" to music differently than women?

All commentary will be helpful, and thanks in advance!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Hi Fi Fetishism - Tancred 10:02:01 02/21/07 (53)

You can not post to an archived thread.