Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Kenwood or Technics? (receivers)

IMHO, the early-mid 80s was something of a high-water mark for the Technics line. These were the very trimmed-down models that a lot of the guys here regularly overlook because they are styled as post-vintage units not vintage units and appear to be light weight, often with digital tuning.

I have a 1983 Technics SA-350 with about 40 watts of their so-called new class A power ($147 new as I recall). The unit heats up like a toaster, but this has not affected its longevity now going on 25 years. A few years ago I picked up a very similar maybe 6-month newer SA-351 for my bedroom system on ebay for about $20, and that is equally solid.

THe SA 350 is my usual power for my den HT sound. These are amazingly fine-sounding trouble-free "sleeper" units that can be had for almost nothing, with power enough to drive most speakers to loud volumes.

I was never as fond of the Technics designs from the 70s. They seen like "also ran" units for the period. I think if you want the classic vintage 70s design with the big wooden case I would go with Kenwood or Sherwood instead.

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Kenwood or Technics? (receivers) - DavidLD 03:48:46 02/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.