Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Megapixels

Thanks for the link. That article is right on, even if he does get a little tangled in his math at the beginning. The points made about sensor size are absolutely valid and that is one of the strong points of the Canon Pro 1, it had a 2/3" sensor; while the G series uses a smaller 1/1.8" sensor.

He does make a valid comparison of sizes, and the benefit of more pixels, if printed full frame. Nobody seems to want to deal with cropping (either in-camera, or in PC) which is where the pixel count is really important to me. Fact is, most shots need a little cropping to get the best composition, so you need some extra pixels to allow you to throw away some of the picture.

Thing is, I've run the experiments and made the calculations and printed the results, so I understand all the trade offs pretty well. The average consumer doesn't and is swayed by the advertising. Very much akin to the wattage race in receivers in the late 70's, or the head size race that was going on in golf clubs.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Megapixels - Bold Eagle 07:12:52 02/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.