Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Klipsch KG2-bookshelf speaker?

The Kg2 is a good construction midsize bookshelf speaker with a rear passive radiator. Sold in the mid 1980s for about $350/pr. I once owned a pair of these.

You can't really compare the Kg2 to the Kg4. The latter was from a much later design family that catered to different priorities (to put it politely). The Kg4 is very bottom heavy and gets muddy as you climb into the middle. Between the two, the baby Kg2 was the better overall performer to my ears.

The Kg2 does sound good with tubes, but can get a little strident with less refined mass-market SS amplification. Typical classic Klipsch sound: dynamic and forward. The middle is not as vibrant as in some other, smaller designs. So they are optimal paired to amplification with a strong midrange. These do need about 3-4 inches rear clearance to operate optimally, and work best on stands.

I gave our pair of these to an in-law with a reconditioned Fisher 500B. They are still in daily service and still "Wow" folks accustomed to Big Box store sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Klipsch KG2-bookshelf speaker? - sgmlaw 03:50:43 02/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.