Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Jensen coaxial speaker in Jensen Imperial Cabinet

Hi, I just got a Jensen Imperial Cabinet with Jensen JAP-60 ST600 speaker in it. It is a 15 inch coaxial and the cabinet dates from around 1949-1950. The speaker date code either puts the speaker at 1948 or 1958.

My question has to do with the crossover. Does anyone know have a schematic? for this type or a similar type. The crossover has been modded to remove the HF attenuation which is not a bad thing. Also a transformer has been disconnected that would have been connected to a the crossover. There is a second larger transformer in the cabinet which I believe was used to change impedences for the speaker. The writing on the speaker indicates it has an impedence of 400-600 ohms. I put my ohmmeter on the speaker terminals and got a reading of 19 ohms.

The speaker sounds fine, I was just wondering how it was origially connected and what purpose the transformer served. There are only three caps in the crossover that I can see. There is a sealed box which I haven't bothered to open. Maybe better off leave the thing alone.

The case is an art deco design, walnut finish. It is large.

Anybody know anything about these oldies?

thx

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Jensen coaxial speaker in Jensen Imperial Cabinet - kintyre695 17:28:26 02/18/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.