Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Finally - A decent thrift store bargain score

I've read with envy all the great stories about finding a nice piece of vintage gear for a song at a thrift store. Finally scored one today. Walked in and could immediately see it all the way across the store. It was big, its was silver and it had lots of knobs. What more could you ask for? :)

I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a Kenwood KR-6030 80 watt unit. Plugged it in and it flickered and hissed, then eventually settled down. Picked up AM very well, but little FM action. Figured for $10 bucks, what the heck. Got it home used DeOxit on the power switch and the flickering and hissing was gone. Strong sound, but definitely a slight channel imbalance. FM tuner was a disappointment as it really struggled with even strong stations and had a lot of hiss. Guess it needs an alignment and the DC offset adjusted. Its built like a tank and I like the look, so might be worth having the work done.

Anyone have more particulars on this unit? Searches came up empty. Is it worth investing some money and time into it?

Thanks
-k-

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Finally - A decent thrift store bargain score - Audio_Orphanage 10:55:37 02/16/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.